[SLUG] For Windows-using friends, not for you

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 11:16:28 EST

Okay, many of the videos from my new book, Point & Click OpenOffice.org!
(in bookstores next month) are now online for free:

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/09/2044220

This book and video are not for 31337 Linux users like you. They're for
your Windows-using friends and family members who think there is no easy
way to start using open source software. They're a starting point for
people who may not even have experience with MS Office. My idea (roundly
dissed by the "everyone needs to use the command line from day one"
crowd, as usual), is that you need to start people off with open source
in ways that make them feel comfortable, then gradually help them learn
more -- if they want to.

For various personal and legal reasons, I can't release many videos
before January, but after that I will be making a whole bunch of them. I
will post some of them on the WWW as free downloads, plus sell CD (or
downloadable) sets.

Right now, I'm think I want to get application coverage (i.e. Xchat,
Firefox/Thunderbird, Nvu, GAIM, etc.) for cross-platform software, while
doing installation and admin videos for most of the popular Linux
distros so I can sell packages based on SUSE, Debian, Mandrakedriva, and
so on.

I am also open to producing (and marketing) videos done by others. I
have the tools at my home in Bradenton. If you want to get involved,
email me off-list and we'll set up a trial recording session or two.

- Robin