[SLUG] Sony-BM Rootkit:

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 11:20:17 EST

On Friday 11 November 2005 02:08 pm, Ian C. Blanker wrote:
> The EFF is collecting a list of people who satisfy the following criteria:
>
> 1. you have a Windows computer;
> 2. First 4 Internet's "xcp" copy protection has been installed on your
> computer from a Sony CD (for more details, see our blog post
> <http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php> referenced above or
> SysInternals blog
> <http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/bypass-traverse-checking-or-is-it
>.HTML>); 3. you reside in either California or New York;
> 4. you are willing to participate in litigation.
>
> They are considering litigation against Sony.
>
> If you were affected, contact allison@eff.org.
>
> - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/

One or two of the news sites was reporting that not only was there a root kit
for MS Windows but also one for Apple.

If I recall correctly Apple's new OS is a BSD derivative.

Assuming that the previous statement is true could someone in very simple
terms [10 words or less] explain how Sony can reliability install a root kit
in a BSD system without root privileges? I thought [absence some
configuration failure of coding failure which Sony could not rely on to limit
music playing] that this was completely 100% impossible.

Frank