Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 10:00:08 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 06:29 -0700, John Pugh wrote:

> the hardware experience you mentioned is quickly becoming a non-issue.

Thanks to the faster kernel development process and to SuSE for staying
almost completely on top of the latest kernel development!!

> For instance...several versions back of SUSE Linux would not install on
> my monster dell 4350 without some effort....SUSE 10.0 installed within
> minutes with NO issues.

I have to agree John. Not only is the process well streamlined and
compatible with more hardware, but the default SuSE kernel boots at
least 40 percent faster than previous releases. That goes for shutdown
too. From the point where I log out of the KDE, it only takes my Dell
laptop about 8 seconds to be completely powered off. It seems like they
are doing some optimization too. The other thing I like about 10 is
that YaST now accepts 3rd party repositories so the packages that aren't
included in the release are easily installed by adding a repo. Much
like adding an apt or yum source now. Very cool!!

The only thing that keeps people I talk to from switching to Linux is
that it doesn't run daily workhorse apps. Like Flash, Dreamweaver,
Quark... etc. If the developers won't port over yet, we've got to have
a better compatibility layer solution. Linux covers the other basics of
web browsing, e-mail, calendar and office suite just fine but that's not
all there is to the business/personal computing world. Games are
another story but that's why man has DRM SONY playstations. ;^) hehe

Mike Branda Jr.