Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Ka Winter (ka_winter@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 11:37:06 EST

> I have to agree John. Not only is the process well
> streamlined and
> compatible with more hardware, but the default SuSE
> kernel boots at
> least 40 percent faster than previous releases.

I don't disagree with any of that. But the fact
remains that in six months with friendly geek help
from multiple linux admin type techs, I have not
managed to end up with a stable linux distro on my
box.

I have three friends now who would happily switch to
Linux if someone would install it and then help them
when they have a problem or need to install a new
program. They would cheerfully pay for that help.
There is no one to do it. When they want to install
Windows or a new program on Windows or have a problem
with Windows, repair people and friendly geeks are
everywhere. And on the Apple subject, I read
somewhere that for the first time in years first-time
Apple users are on the rise (thanks to frustration
with Windows) this confirms, as someone else said,
that people are ready to change.

anyway, I still am optimistic. I've only had this
computer since April, I am sure that somewhere there
is a distro that will work on it. Wish me luck. :)

Cassandra

http://mail.yahoo.com