Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 16:36:28 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:35 -0800, Ka Winter wrote:
> --- Daniel Jarboe <daniel.jarboe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Richard, I have tried three times to download the
> > 64
> > > bit version of 10.0 and it has failed all three
> > times.
> >
> > That's very strange. What protocol have you been
> > using?
> > If http or ftp, you could always try BitTorrent
> > instead.
> >

> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/SUSE-10.0-CD-OSS-x86_64-GM.torrent
> >
> > ~ Daniel
>
> BitTorrent twice and http once. Twice I ended up with
> it appearing to be the full download but upon checking
> it was less than half the file size it should have
> been and was "not all there." And one of the
> bitTorrent downloads just stalled. Having not
> succeeded at my house I had one of the county IT guys
> try the next two times with dismal success.

If you're after the 4.5GB SuSE 10 DVD and are trying to download it on
linux or Mac, I've had problems getting it past the 2GB mark with
Mozilla Download, Konqueror and wget due to some inherent property of
+2GB files on *nix based systems. Maybe Ian can explain this away.
However, I compiled the latest version of wget which supports very
large files and got the whole image successfully. Very simple build.

Wget FAQ from

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html

3.1 Does Wget support files larger than 2GB?

Yes, starting from version 1.10, GNU Wget supports files larger than
2GB.

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.