Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 11:31:13 EST

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 10:10, Levi Bard wrote:
> Debian-amd64 has installed and run beautifully without a hitch for
> everyone to whom I've recommended it (as well as for yours truly).
> And you don't have all this "half my apps are 32bit, half are 64bit,
> so I need two sets of libraries for everything" BS that you get with a
> lot of the newer "64bit" distros. (looks pointedly at redhat/fedora,
> mandrake, and suse)

It's of course a big job to recompile and handle all the things that needs to
be handled with recompiling all the new programs and libraries. I.e.
dependencies, bugs (maybe different behavior) in the 64 bit libs and the
like.

I've not investigated 64 bit much in depth yet, but I've seen interesting
problems with them. It is however getting better with each passing day so I
imagine that it should all be up to standard pretty soon.

When I try to build a new 64 bit Intel box (Dell actually) a few months ago,
the only major distro that I could get to even install was SuSE.

So when was the last time you had problems with 64 bit and what are the
details?

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.