Re: [SLUG] Sony rootkit

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 11:48:10 EST

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 09:12, SOTL wrote:
> Recall that US military tanks, ships, plains all are using MS Windows as
> the operating system for some functions.

Over and beyond what Mike correctly points out, though it's poor security
enough, they don't all run windows. In fact they are very poorly
standardized.

As Mike points out it is only a problem on that one computer where someone
entered the root password and let the rootkit in. It does not now spread to
all other boxes (unless you have windows then anything is possible). That
does not occur under unices.

It is a blatant out security issue that this (these?) soldier(s) entered the
root password when trying to play a music CD. Who's ever heard of anything so
dumb in the first place. It's a total no no. Not that the armed forces are
known for their good security anyway...

When I listened to a Dept of Defense spokesman back in 2000 they were very
aware of the problems with windows. And in fact said that it cannot be
secured. They wanted help from the private sector when it came to security.

The problem there is that the armed forces is a very big area with many big
heads. Actually one really get's a feel for how big the problem is vis a vis
windows, when looking at these guys.

Here all that's needed is an order and that's that. No discussion, just
execution. When they cannot get it solved you know there's a big problem
agreeing on what the problem is. Never mind polititians, who all depend on
money in their pockets, controlling big parts.

Of course there's a big lock down in vested time and dollars too.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.