Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 12:10:36 EST

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 07:43 -0700, John Pugh wrote:
> <20051115225554.GJ17353@quillandmouse.com>, paulf@quillandmouse.com
> wrote:
> >
> > You've had all this trouble installing on a 64 bit machine? I'm not
> > surprised. This area is still prone to problems.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Please clarify Paul...
> if you are implying that all 64bit distros have problems, I'll simply
> say that SUSE Linux is and will continue to be the leader in this space.

John,

I would bet he's referring to the bleeding edge hardware thing as a
whole. For instance, SuSE 9.3 64 bit was a dog and required me to set
up a custom kernel to fix a double rate clock tick, and pass special
boot parameters to the GRUB to allow the broadcom chipset to work 64 bit
on my Dad's Compaq r4000. It has an Athlon 64 in it with the Radeon
based mobo and the 200m chipset. Mucho problems with that ATI hunk of
_insert_something_derrogatory_. Before SuSE 10 was available, I also
tried Ubuntu hoary and breezy. Hoary had the same problems as SuSE 9.3
and the cluster 3 of breezy had volume label issues to the point that it
wouldn't even find the hard disk after the initial install.

The saving grace was SuSE 10. The kernel choice included in 10 has a
massive pile of 64 bit improvements. It installed perfectly. No
problems. No funky kernel options. Although _no-one_ can get DRI and
that stupid ATI 200m working right without having to disable the
dedicated 128mb "sideport" video RAM in lieu of shared video RAM in 64
bit mode. That's ATI's fault though. Bug in the Linux driver.

You have to admit that inherently Linux takes a bit to figure out new
hardware. At the same time, the faster kernel development (over 2.4
k's) has led to quicker hardware compatibility.

Mike Branda Jr.