Re: [SLUG] Sony rootkit

From: paddy (paddy@ij.net)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 13:40:10 EST

SOTL wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 November 2005 05:22 am, paddy wrote:
>

>>Evidently, the mess Sony has caused may well hit them in the only place
>>a large corporation cares about, the pocketbook. Here is a well written
>>article that shows some of the extent of the damage.
>>

>>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69573,00.html
>>

>>Paddy
>>

>Hi Paddy
>
>The article just does not get to the root of the issue if I understand it what
>is happening correctly.
>
>Forget what is happening to consumer MS Windows boxes which is bad enough.
>
>The real issue to me is that given a network say mill net that some
>unsuspecting person could plop a music CD into a box be it MS Windows, Linus,
>or BSD [recall Apple is BSD] and by that simple process install root kits on
>ALL computers in the network which are invisible to all but a very select set
>of very high level tools which most techies do not have.
>
>Recall that US military tanks, ships, plains all are using MS Windows as the
>operating system for some functions.
>
>Frank
>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

I understand that. To install on a Unix box if my memory of using BSD
for ten years serves me correctly, the program has to be able to get
root privledges. If you are running as root you are in BIG trouble
which is what everyone who is running a Windblows box does every day.

Operating computers is the same as any other equipment, if you don't
know what you are doing, you must accept the consequences.

If they executed the creeps who write and turn loose this sort of
software, one by one the problem would be solved. Everyone and his
brother is writing this junk for spam, bots, etc and when caught, what
do they get; a lecture and community service. Bah Humbug!

Paddy