Re: [SLUG] automated sequential boot of multiple machines

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 09:47:47 EST

> I wouldn't mind this approach so much other than the fact that sometimes
> SuSE forces a fsck on the disks if the last time it was run was more
> than a certain period of days (preset).

Just a FYI, that is not a SuSE thing; it is an ext2/3 thing and is of
course, changable.

tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/foo

to not force check after any number of mounts or days since last check.

Though that doesn't address your timing concerns for required fscks.

Really I'd go about it differently. If server B requires the gateway
A to be up, then it should check if gateway A is up. If its not up,
then B chills and checks again for A after some interval. Wash,
rinse, repeat. This also reduces possible sources of contention
compared to less fine-grained things you might try to rig up.

~ Daniel