Re: [SLUG] Politics, ethics etc.

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 22:23:49 EST

On Saturday 19 November 2005 21:13, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> > One hundred years ago man was far more kinder to man. We left doors
> > largely unlocked and when we saw a stranger we greeted him. Offered him a
> > chair and food and drink.
>
> Ummm.... my wife is black and might disagree with you about how
> wonderful things were 100 years ago.

I did not say it was wonderful. I said people were kinder. With that I meant
as in general. Not all, not everywhere. But in general people were kinder.

I'm not sure what the point is. Public hanging was not uncommon. Minorities
were often treated horribly. Poor education has always brought around fear
for different looking and sounding people.

Yes the color divide and all the other divides were there too. But blacks
treated blacks better, in general. White treated white better in general and
so on. Life expectency was not as long as it is now. Medicin has done a lot.
Better housing etc.

Nor did I say that life was necessarily better then either.

> Your local public library -- likely funded by Andrew Carnegie -- was the
> closest thing you had to the Internet. (If you were white; non-whites
> suffered from a major "print divide" because they weren't allowed to use
> most public libraries.)

I'm sure that's not intended as a defense of Carnegie. Or maybe you are just
commenting on life back then.

> Anyway, I think life has gotten better over the last 100 years.

It sure has. No doubt.

> If nothing else, tires last longer and cars need tuneups less often. And
> - WAIT - most of us have cars now, while hardly anyone did back then.

Yes, and fewer people get bit by a horse these days too.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.