Re: [SLUG] Windon't Q's.

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 10:30:21 EST

> e) it doesn't have any weird options to ./configure that aren't the way you
> like them (except file locations)
>
> But I admit, a) - d) are powerful incentives to put up with some
> differences.

That's a good point. Debian-based distros will allow you to grab the
package source, change the configure args, and build a deb package
with the args you prefer. Good for one-offs, but I admit it can be a
pita if there are several packages you want to do this with and you
upgrade often. Still, not less work than building everything from
source anyway...

Honestly, there are a few things about emerge that could stand to be
merged into apt (gasp!). For instance, a global list of libraries to
enable/disable when building a source package (all the custom CFLAGS
crap can stay with gentoo though: -fOMGOPTIMIZE! ).
I think apt does such a spectacular job of managing binary packages
that the source side really gets neglected. (Most people don't even
know that apt can be used to manage source packages.)

--
Debianista!