Re: [SLUG] Mail Transfer Agents

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 22:18:02 EST

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:30:15PM -0500, Sick Twist wrote:

> >From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] Mail Transfer Agents
> >Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:19:09 -0500
> >
> >I believe you can use POP3 to download the mail and then IMAP to serve
> >it locally. Probably what you were thinking of above.
> >
> >Paul
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Can Postfix download from the POP3
> server or would I need to combine Postfix with Fetchmail for that?

Postfix isn't designed for that. Fetchmail is. You can have fetchmail
hand the mail off to procmail (the usual) or whatever. That bypasses
postfix, because postfix is designed to listen to port 25 and handle the
mail that comes in on that port from any source. But you can put postfix
to work routing internal LAN mail (cron job emails and such), or mail
from one person on a LAN to another, or outbound to the internet at
large.

Paul