Re: [SLUG] Mail Transfer Agents

From: John Brown (photo.man@knology.net)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 17:55:08 EST

Ok, gotta add my bits too... below

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:46, Sick Twist wrote:
> >From: Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] Mail Transfer Agents
> >Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:32:04 -0600
> >
> >I may be missing something, but can't you check the "leave messages on
> >server" option in both clients? Other than that, postfix +
> >courier-imap ( maybe + squirrelmail if you want to provide them a web
> >interface too ) will work great.

<snip>

Last year I participated in an email practicum class at St. Pete
College, an elective for the Linux Admin track. These were our choices
to setup an email system:
        MTA = Postfix (amen to all that has been said about it)
        IMAP = Dovecot -default on Redhat/Fedora systems -almost no
        configuration.
        Squirrel Mail -Web front end -very customizable, lots of
        plug-ins, easy to setup, also used at U.S.F., St. Pete.
Of course, for the student learning, we threw in LDAP and MySQL for user
lists and authentication.

That said... continue reading Paul's input...

-- JB