Re: [SLUG] ReactOS

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 10:37:58 EST

2005/11/23, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:19:37AM -0600, michael hast wrote:
>
> > Have any of you heard of this?
> >
> > http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html
>
> <snicker/>
> By the time they get something that works right, Microsoft will have a
> new version of its OS out (Vista?).
>
> While I can't knock their enthusiasm, and I see a reason to do what
> they're doing, I can't help but think that Linux or Wine would benefit
> more from their efforts. Why duplicate a crappy OS? (Yeah, I know, but
> still....)

The ReactOS project and the Wine project regularly share code, so
there is no wasted effort.
Plus, last I checked, there was no shortage of Linux kernel developers.
So if somebody wants to clone Windows, eh. Weirdos.

> And here's another thought. Would you want to be a target of Microsoft's
> lawyers? It's one thing to have Linux with Wine working with _most_
> programs and taking up 0.1 percent of the OS market. It's quite another
> to have a FOSS XP clone that works with _all_ programs, edging toward
> 10%, 20% and more of the OS market. The Microsoft shooting range would
> have _your_ face on their targets. ;-}

Well, except for patented stuff (and some of the developers live in
countries without broken patent systems), I don't see how MS could
touch them. Other than, y'know, "Liquidating" their assets with Lenny
and Da Boys.

I'll be a happy man when ReactOS can play windows games without
problems, because newbies in #slug.fl always ask how to get them
working in Linux, which is somewhat... Not something a newbie should
attempt to do.