Re: [SLUG] Linux in VMware on Linux

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 19:27:58 EST

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> > So I have VMware 3.1.1 (yeah it's old), and I want to try out recent
> > Linux distros in it.

I plan to test various apps in it, including VMware, so I'll be running
Windows in VMware in Linux in VMware in Linux. :-)

[failures]

> > Does anyone know a distro that's likely to work? I don't have to burn
> > it to a CD to try, as VMware will read an iso. Even if I do, I can use
> > a CD-RW.
>
> One thing you can try doing...
> VMWare now has a freely available program called VMPlayer. With it you can
> run, but not create VMWare images. If you were to get a configured VM from
> the full-fledged VMWare with nothing but the bare guest, you could use it
> like a blank PC.

Tried that, it hosed my existing VMware settings. Good idea though.

> For the others, I know that twiddling with the ACPI settings can help it
> to work.

Doesn't have ACPI, but just for kicks I unchecked "Use APM features of guest
OS when suspending". And while I'm in there, I'll play with "Guest OS type"
(right now "Linux")...

Thanks for the hint.

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking