Re: [SLUG] Linux in VMware on Linux

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 18:30:17 EST

> So I have VMware 3.1.1 (yeah it's old), and I want to try out recent Linux
> distros in it.
>
> Ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10, both "server" and "normal" installation, errored out
> installing the base system. I turned off write caching (in VMware's
> settings) and DMA (using hdparm on the emulated Ubuntu) to no avail. The
> emulated BIOS has nothing relevant. It wrote ~150M to the virtual hard
> drive before dying, so it's not as if it can't write to the hard drive at
> all.
>
> Knoppix 3.4 did the POST and then went black.
>
> Xandros 1.0 wouldn't show the license agreement.
>
> SuSE 9.1 was very configurable, but it failed somewhere before copying the
> files, but I forget where.
>
> Does anyone know a distro that's likely to work? I don't have to burn it to
> a CD to try, as VMware will read an iso. Even if I do, I can use a CD-RW.

One thing you can try doing...
VMWare now has a freely available program called VMPlayer. With it you can run, but
not create VMWare images. If you were to get a configured VM from the full-fledged
VMWare with nothing but the bare guest, you could use it like a blank PC.

I know that FC1 through FC4 all work within the recent VMPlayer.

For the others, I know that twiddling with the ACPI settings can help it to work.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com