[SLUG] Linux in VMware on Linux

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 16:34:43 EST

So I have VMware 3.1.1 (yeah it's old), and I want to try out recent Linux
distros in it.

Ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10, both "server" and "normal" installation, errored out
installing the base system. I turned off write caching (in VMware's
settings) and DMA (using hdparm on the emulated Ubuntu) to no avail. The
emulated BIOS has nothing relevant. It wrote ~150M to the virtual hard
drive before dying, so it's not as if it can't write to the hard drive at
all.

Knoppix 3.4 did the POST and then went black.

Xandros 1.0 wouldn't show the license agreement.

SuSE 9.1 was very configurable, but it failed somewhere before copying the
files, but I forget where.

Does anyone know a distro that's likely to work? I don't have to burn it to
a CD to try, as VMware will read an iso. Even if I do, I can use a CD-RW.

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking