[SLUG] email while traveling

From: botteman (botteman@knology.net)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 17:04:10 EST

Need some help.

Have a Knology email account and trouble is when
traveling and trying to use my Knology account while
connected thru another isp, namely Comcast.

Getting mail is no problem. Sending is.

I entered a new smtp server (smtp.comcast.net) into
Thunderbird under the Tool > Account Settings >
Outgoing Server > Advanced > Add > Server Name
field, and checked the Use Name and Password box.
I then made that server the default. In the User name
field I've tried both formats, "Joe" and "joe@knology.net".
I also changed to the Comcast server in the drop down
list under Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings >
Advanced > SMTP > Server:

Upon clicking Send, T-bird asks for a password,
then complains when entered, and asks again. I can't
tell you the exact message at the moment but it clues
me that I am sending it thru the right server (Comcast).

Comcast (non-)support is no help. They don't support
Mozilla, and Knology told me to just put in the smtp
server name and it'll work.

Where to start looking?

[Yeah, I know ... I can access the web mail feature
on Knology.net, but that's not what I want to do.]

Dave