Re: [SLUG] email while traveling

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 18:03:22 EST

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, botteman wrote:

> Need some help.
>
> Have a Knology email account and trouble is when
> traveling and trying to use my Knology account while
> connected thru another isp, namely Comcast.
>
> Getting mail is no problem. Sending is.
>
> I entered a new smtp server (smtp.comcast.net) into
> Thunderbird under the Tool > Account Settings >
> Outgoing Server > Advanced > Add > Server Name
> field, and checked the Use Name and Password box.
> I then made that server the default. In the User name
> field I've tried both formats, "Joe" and "joe@knology.net".
> I also changed to the Comcast server in the drop down
> list under Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings >
> Advanced > SMTP > Server:
>
> Upon clicking Send, T-bird asks for a password,
> then complains when entered, and asks again. I can't
> tell you the exact message at the moment but it clues
> me that I am sending it thru the right server (Comcast).
>
> Comcast (non-)support is no help. They don't support
> Mozilla, and Knology told me to just put in the smtp
> server name and it'll work.
>
> Where to start looking?
>
> [Yeah, I know ... I can access the web mail feature
> on Knology.net, but that's not what I want to do.]

Most ISPs won't let outsiders use their SMTP server. Unless you can reach
some arrangement with them, you could try artful port forwarding using SSH,
where it forwards your_smtp_server:22 to high_port locally, and then you
tell your MUA (Thunderbird?) to use localhost:high_port. That assumes
your home machine (1) accepts SSH logins, and (2) will forward ports.

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking