Re: [SLUG] Used UPS Source

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 19:40:17 EST

On Sunday 27 November 2005 15:56, Chuck Hast wrote:
> couple of the larger gell batteries and put them on a UPS of course the are
> now external to the UPS (they are a lot bigger than the pea shooters that
> come with a UPS) and will keep the thing runnng for a lot longer than the
> original battery.

One thing to be aware of is that the electronics is built to handle a certain
load. Putting a much larger battery, and load, could result in overloading
the circuitry. Also the charging circuit has to be able to charge your
batteries of course.

Granted, I've never done it with a much larger batteries, and I don't know
what kind of margins these circuits are built with. But I would imagine that
if you connected a car battery to one of these 500W, put over 500W load on it
and then turned off the AC you could eastoast it.

I picked up a 2200W for about $50 and spent 4 x ~$45 on batteries from a place
on US19 which also sells all sorts of batteries. Small building, but clean
and well kept.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.