Re: [SLUG] not really but kind of Linux related

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 16:17:39 EST

> Hi,
> I have a problem. The solution of the problem would probably apply to
> Linux users as well as Mac. I am running a few macs, as I know a few
> other SLUG members are, and I am having a problem with the dvd disc.
> I got a few scratches on the disc, but not on the data side but the
> label side. The silver coating and parts of the label have scratched
> off.

From:
http://www.ryatec.com/information.html

"Contrary to popular belief, data on a CD is stored just beneath the label. The mass
of a CD is in the polycarbonate plastic that protects the information. Damage to the
label side (top) of a disc is unrepairable but doesn't necessarily mean the disc is
ruined. Unless a label side scratch permeates the foil layer just under the label of
the disc, the damage will not cause the disc to skip. Foil layer damage caused by
deep label side scratches or exposure to extreme elements can permanently damage the
disc. Fortunately, most damage that causes a disc to skip or freeze is caused by
play side damage. This type of damage usually results from normal, repeated handling
and play. Scratches, scuffs, marks and even fingerprints can cause a disc to skip or
freeze. We can resurface and repair 99.9% of all discs with damage to the play
side."

I.e., if the label itself is damaged then likely it's unsalvageable. If just the
bottom plastic is scratched you can usually polish it out.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com