Re: [SLUG] older computers

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 12:09:55 EST

>> The Pentiums can be made into a fileserver pretty easily. My current
>> fileserver is a similar vintage and handles the load well. It's also
>> running OpenLDAP for central authentication and exporting home shares via
>> automount.
>
> The thing is, I don't _want_ any more machines. I'd sell (heck, _give_ the
> ones that are mine -- not all are, but he who owns the others may decide to
> do the same) to somebody if I only knew who'd take them.

Give them up for $5-$10 apiece to some local geeks. The nominal charge is to prevent
the folks who'll just take a machine because it's free. A while back I cleared out
my garage and got rid of some Apple, Sun, IBM and miscellaneous x86 hardware. Gave
some to the local kids. A couple months later I saw a couple on the side of the road
waiting for the trash pickup. I had no need for them, but it was a little annoying
to see them there.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com