Re: [SLUG] older computers

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 11:58:47 EST

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> > What can be done with older machines? I have some unused 486 and
> > Pentium machines (up to the Pentium 200-300 range, I think) , and some
> > cases thereof. At one point all (the machines, not the cases) ran, but
> > by now hard drives may have been cannibalized to be used elsewhere.
> >
> > My network is fine; I don't need a firewall or router. In fact, two of
> > these machines _used_ to be the house router, but when I "needed"
> > 802.11, it was easier to get a COTS router than buy the parts and make
> > Linux cooperate (a decision I've regretted several times).
>
> The Pentiums can be made into a fileserver pretty easily. My current
> fileserver is a similar vintage and handles the load well. It's also
> running OpenLDAP for central authentication and exporting home shares via
> automount.

The thing is, I don't _want_ any more machines. I'd sell (heck, _give_ the
ones that are mine -- not all are, but he who owns the others may decide to
do the same) to somebody if I only knew who'd take them.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein