Re: [SLUG] Project Looking Glass

From: Ka Winter (ka_winter@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 17:41:33 EST

--- michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:

> Has anybody seen this? I downloaded the ISO for the
> live cd. It's
> pretty, but I don't see any practical application
> for it yet. I suppose
> it's just another way to impress people at this
> point. I'm starting to
> understand how powerful Java is, I guess. I wonder
> if I could take a
> course at my local university...
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/
>
> --

I have used that link for a while. I gave
presentations to the Palm Coast Computer Club and the
St. Augustine Computer Club on the subject of Linux
and Open Source and one of the things I showed them
was Project Looking Glass - not because it represents
Linux, but because most of these folks had thought
about just Windows for years. And showing them stuff
that was developed by someone other than Microsoft for
the desk top and was so darned attractive helped them
open their minds to realizing that alternatives to
Windows might not be cheap Windows-like stuff, but
truly different and desirable with its own set of
features. It made it easy to segue into the Linux
multiple desktops and transparent menus and other
"pretty features."

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com