Re: [SLUG] Project Looking Glass

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 21:36:14 EST

>I have used that link for a while. I gave
>presentations to the Palm Coast Computer Club and the
>St. Augustine Computer Club on the subject of Linux
>and Open Source and one of the things I showed them
>was Project Looking Glass - not because it represents
>Linux, but because most of these folks had thought
>about just Windows for years. And showing them stuff
>that was developed by someone other than Microsoft for
>the desk top and was so darned attractive helped them
>open their minds to realizing that alternatives to
>Windows might not be cheap Windows-like stuff, but
>truly different and desirable with its own set of
>features. It made it easy to segue into the Linux
>multiple desktops and transparent menus and other
>"pretty features."

    That's kind of what I was thinking about the whole thing. You know,
I use M$ office at work because that's what we use at work. Personally,
I prefer Open Office for it's feature-richness and it's generally
bug-free operation. This all comes back to the "real OS" deal. Most
Winders users don't realize that there are real alternatives out there.
One of my co-workers mentioned that he thought that "they should make a
replacement for Windows that was completely different."
    I said, "you mean like KDE? Gnome?"
    I have to admit that less than a year ago, when I was thinking about
alternatives (simply because I didn't want to fork out the money for W2K
or XP for my old second-hand computer), I was scared to jump into Linux
right away. I didn't really know anything about it, and thought it was
all shell scripts and black-and-green screens. Like you said, this
doesn't really have a whole lot to do with Linux, but it does show that
there's nothing to be scared of. There are a lot of opportunities with
it, in fact. As one desires, Linux can be text-only all the way up to
3-D environments and memory chomping glamor.

BTW--Are there any other three dimensional desktop environments that any
of you guys have played with?

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Always remember that too much pot spoils the cook, and if you have nothing to say at all, don't say anything nice.