Re: [SLUG] Real OSes

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 00:09:44 EST

On Sunday 04 December 2005 23:09, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Sunday 04 December 2005 22:56, Steven Buehler wrote:
> > Ah, you remind me of when I was trying to get a 10 MB hard disk for my
> > old IBM PS/2 x286 system. RLL interface, $600.
>
> Oh, you were spoiled. 286! Ooo!
>
> We can see who had the smallest capacity drives. My 1st one only had 5MB.
> It had a Massive motor. Probably 6 inch in diameter and a foot long. The
> disk was something like 14 inches. Now there's a REAL disk! Haha!
My first computer total system cost in 1965 about a billion dollars-
SAC 's first real time Command and Control System had the War Plans in
a cabinet of 36 inch hard disks. That was pre Unix. Octal coded machine
language 32 bit system programmed with IBM punch cards. We used an
IBM 360 to feed the programs into our Data Processing Central Machine.
I think each disk had around the capacity of a modern floppy disk.

                   Richard Smoot