Re: [SLUG] Real OSes

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 00:03:51 EST

On 12/5/05, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:
> Steven Buehler wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:49:15 -0500, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Neat! I had a South African programmer (I lived in Africa for three
> >> years) who
> >> was the reigning chess champ. He loved Forth and got me started with
> >> it. That
> >> was back when CPM was still in use... Oh, memories of a awesome
> >> continent.
> >>
> >> They released a 40M hard drive back then. Days of super computing! : )
> >> I had the first terminal which had something like 60 columns and 8
> >> rows or
> >> something. It was almost as fast as a punchcard machine, but did not
> >> quite
> >> have the capacity. Well, give or take a lie or two.
> >

> > Ah, you remind me of when I was trying to get a 10 MB hard disk for my
> > old IBM PS/2 x286 system. RLL interface, $600.
> >
> > SWB
>

> I would have said, "TEN MB?!?!?! You'll NEVER use that much space!!!"

DEC PDP 8 with a whopping 4K of CORE? then they gave us 4K!! The PDP
10 HD was the size of a washing machine and it was only 5M.... Ahh those
were the days... Terminal was a Teletype model 33, and if you where real high
falutin, you had a M35 or better a M35ASR, but if your butt was gold plated
they gave you a dec writer that could print at 30 cps... And you MIGHT have
a CRT to work on too. Or you got a M38ASR that could print uppers and lowers
in the same vien as the DEC writer, only it was quite noisy.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;