Re: [SLUG] Real OSes

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 00:24:37 EST

On Monday 05 December 2005 00:03, Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 12/5/05, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:
> > I would have said, "TEN MB?!?!?! You'll NEVER use that much space!!!"
>
> DEC PDP 8 with a whopping 4K of CORE? then they gave us 4K!! The PDP
> 10 HD was the size of a washing machine and it was only 5M.... Ahh those
> were the days... Terminal was a Teletype model 33, and if you where real
> high falutin, you had a M35 or better a M35ASR, but if your butt was gold
> plated they gave you a dec writer that could print at 30 cps... And you
> MIGHT have a CRT to work on too. Or you got a M38ASR that could print
> uppers and lowers in the same vien as the DEC writer, only it was quite
> noisy.

Yes, nice multiplatter disks! And you're right those were washing machine
size. Core ring memory... I think we're a tad beyond those today.

4K. Hmm I guess I was not spoiled, I had to pay for my 2nd 4K. Then a bit
later Apple came out with a machine that had 64K. Whew!

Those were fast & noisy days! Christ, I had forgoten about daisy wheel
printers. Of course, somehow I hear teletype noise on movies when messages
pop up on monitors. Muct be some high tech "manual" monitors : )

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.