Re: [SLUG] older computers

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 06:46:18 EST

--- steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> On Monday 05 December 2005 17:59, SOTL wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 December 2005 09:16 pm, steve szmidt
> wrote:
> good firewall?
> > >
> > > Above? A 486 will fill a T1. For the longest
> time I had a 386 with 16MB
> > > as my gateway. Given the age of h/w it might not
> be too good to go with
> > > THAT old h/w, but a P5 will be pleeenty.
> >
> > Thanks but NO thanks.
> >
> > I have NO desires to go through the hell of
> setting up another 486 on
> > linux.
> ??
>
> That was not because it was 486 but rather some
> incompatible h/w. I it says
> i386 it will run on all. you are no going to have a
> GUI etc on a firewall
> either. It's a minimum install.
>
> If you are not comfortable configuring the firewall
> without some GUI tool then
> do that on a different machine. The f/w should not
> have any compilers or
> anything else. (The reason for that is so that if a
> hacker indeed gets in,
> there are no tools for him to use, or boken s/w with
> holes he can yake
> advantage of.)
>
> --
>
> Steve Szmidt

I have several older machines outfitted for use with
IPCOP. Contact me offlist if anyone is interested in
picking one of these speed deamons up :) My inventory
includes a couple 486's and a few P1's (100mhz -
133mhz). Most of them already have 3 Nics in them,
but some of the older ones are not readily upgradable
to 100/1000Mbit networking unless you can get away
with less then 3 Nics.

I think IPCOP will still work on the 486's. I ran the
previous version of IPCOP on the older machines. The
Two distro's I have familiarity with are Freesco and
IPCOP. Of the two I prefer IPCOP, but Freesco may be
more backward compatible now. Anyway, it's like
someone up top said, it's just a compile flag away
from working.

Rob

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com