Re: [SLUG] older computers

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 08:00:45 EST

On Monday 05 December 2005 10:52 pm, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 17:59, SOTL wrote:
> > >
> > > Above? A 486 will fill a T1. For the longest time I had a 386 with 16MB
> > > as my gateway. Given the age of h/w it might not be too good to go with
> > > THAT old h/w, but a P5 will be pleeenty.
> >
> > Thanks but NO thanks.
> >
> > I have NO desires to go through the hell of setting up another 486 on
> > linux.
>
> ??
>
> That was not because it was 486 but rather some incompatible h/w. I it says
> i386 it will run on all. you are no going to have a GUI etc on a firewall
> either. It's a minimum install.
>
> If you are not comfortable configuring the firewall without some GUI tool
> then do that on a different machine. The f/w should not have any compilers
> or anything else. (The reason for that is so that if a hacker indeed gets
> in, there are no tools for him to use, or boken s/w with holes he can yake
> advantage of.)

Not true.

The issue is that in modern SuSE, Mandrake, Fedora many of the drivers for the
older equipment have been replaced by newer drivers for newer equipment.

There are two ways to easily solve this issue.

1. Install an old distribution and set up and then update. Problem is that
many times updating old distributions fail.

2. Or, you can simply install the drivers. Sorry but assembling a distribution
is above my level.

The issue is not GUI but drivers. Maybe you can not recall mode lines in
screen drivers. I can. And, my response to such is to spend the $50 to $100
required for more modern equipment than 486.

Thanks but NO thanks.

SOTL