Re: [SLUG] older computers

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 13:26:06 EST

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 08:24 am, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 08:00, SOTL wrote:
> > The issue is not GUI but drivers. Maybe you can not recall mode lines in
> > screen drivers. I can. And, my response to such is to spend the $50 to
> > $100 required for more modern equipment than 486.
>
> The point was not to try to force anything on anyone but that you can do it
> fairly simply. New drivers does not mean the old ones are thrown away. Just
> that new ones are added. Certain distro's do compile for 586 and up, but
> it's not that hard to find one that isn't. Recompiling a kernel seems more
> daunting than it really is. Anyway, again my point was simply that if you
> have a 486 it can be put to use as a f/w.

Making the equation that time is money then the question to me is not can I do
it but how much is it going to cost.

Do I really want to spend 10 or 20 hours installing Linux in an older computer
just so I can brag that I saved $50 to $100 in equipment cost while spending
$1000 in labor cost? I personally think this is a poor trade but then that is
me.

SOTL