Re: [SLUG] Project Looking Glass

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 13:22:41 EST

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:29:50AM -0700, David R. Meyer wrote:

> We have some people in our company that use Looking Glass on their
> systems now. They use it primarily for doing presentations, etc. as
> the native functionality within Looking Glass really makes for sharp
> presentations.
>
> I am not sure what distro they were using but I know one guy was using
> SuSE Pro (I think it was 8.2)...it was a little while ago.

I hate to say this, but I'm trying to figure out why this is a good
thing. Nothing I saw in the screen shots couldn't be accomplished
without 3D capabilities. If you want a little gizmo that says what a
window is, "roll it up" and you can see the window label in the rolled
up title line. If you want to attach notes to a window (on the back in
the screenshots), just add a gizmo to the window manager to allow this.
Yeah, you can do it in (fake) 3D so it looks kewl. But why? Sure would
suck up CPU/GPU cycles.

This is related to another complaint. Have you ever seen a curses screen
being used day in and day out for input (like an invoicing application)?
Fast as hell and rock solid. Translate that same input page into a
webpage input page or some other GUI, and it runs like snot, compared to
the curses/console screen. The curses screen looks like crap, but
functionally it's superior.

Anyway, I'm sure someone had to do Looking Glass just to do it. I just
question whether it actually has benefits that couldn't be acquired
through some other, less resource-intensive strategy.

</rant>

Paul