Re: [SLUG] tape drive back-ups

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 10:35:47 EST

> If you're an individual and _have_ a tape drive and a mess of tapes, and
> want an opensource solution, then there's Amanda. I think I've seen one
> other opensourced tape backup solution out there on par with Amanda
> (though I've forgotten its name).

You are probably thinking of Bacula (I've mentioned it on this list
before). Bacula has a number of strengths over Amanda (improvements
in spanning multiple tapes, additional features, etc), though a
glaring weakness for some: Bacula's scheduler is fairly traditional
and less powerful/flexible than Amanda's. Both are considered
rock-solid systems.

But yeah, tapes are clunky... boo tapes ;). While they certainly have
their place, 21st century home backup is not high on that list.

~ Daniel