RE: [SLUG] tape drive back-ups

From: Darin Walters (darinwalters@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 10:44:56 EST

Mike

I've used the dump command to backup linux/unix for many years. It is
simple and effective. It is important that you practice using the dump,
restore and mt commands in order to become proficient if a DR situation
comes up; your backup methodology should include tests of the restore
capabilities frequently. For a good primer on dump go to
http://surf.ap.seikei.ac.jp/~nakano/dump-restore/dump-restore-mini-HOWTO.en.
html

If you are looking for a serious enterprise solution that tracks multiple
backups with "chain of custody" features then you will need to spend some $$
on a commercial product. I've used legato, backupexec and numerous other
solutions to accomplish the task. They all have shortcomings.

In the past I was very happy with the HP product line of DAT and DLT drives.
After the merger of HP/Compaq/DEC I started having issues with customer
support repairing still under warranty units. I switched to Exabyte due to
those issues. No comments on Sony other then ethical concerns. I've had
extremely good results using a company that refurbishes dlt/dat drives
http://www.sprague-magnetics.com/dltheads.htm . They have great customer
service and warranty their drives for 1 year.

The last enterprise solution I installed utilized dantz retrospect
(http://www.dantz.com/) with and ISCCI/IPSAN solution
(http://www.lefthandnetworks.com/) for hard disk backups. The product met
the customer needs to have a WIN/Linux/Unix solution while meeting "chain of
custody" and HIPPA requirements. Some cool (geek) features of the solution
were the ability to do a hot site continental cluster with the IPSAN for
snapshot backups offsite and hard disk backup's onsite.

Darin W. Walters

("Even the wise man dwells in the fool's paradise." Neil Strauss)