[SLUG] tape drive back-ups

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 16:16:06 EST

Hello all!

Anybody have any experience backing up to tape with Linux?? Any drive
suggestions? I've been looking at a Sony AIT-2 drive ( SDX-520C ) as I
can get 50GB native / 130GB compressed per tape and I have a lot of data
to back up (hundreds of gigabytes). Sony says the drive is Linux
compatible and 2 companies offer Linux software for it...though they
charge an arm and a leg. I was wondering how well the amanda suite
works and any other suggestions as I have never worked with tapes. I
assume that archives larger than one tape's capacity can span? Any
advice and/or actual experience with tapes and/or this drive/media type
would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike Branda Jr.