RE: [SLUG] tape drive back-ups

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 08:13:21 EST

>>Anybody have any experience backing up to tape with Linux??
>>Any advice and/or actual experience with tapes and/or this drive/media
type would be appreciated.

Tape is great for backups, but sucks for restore. I stopped using it years
ago. I had too many customers burned by tapes that went bad. At one site,
they put in a 1 year old tape to recover a deleted file (deleted 11 months
earlier) and the tape gummed up the heads. Turned out almost all their
tapes would do that to any drive - including mine. All that data was lost,
as well as four drives. Tape is a house of cards that will fall down when
you need it most. Glad that client found out before a real disaster struck.

I built rack-mount PCs with 8 removable HDDs. We would run rotating backups
to the drive, changing one drive each day. We treated the drive just like a
tape, and took them offsite in rotation. Worked great, and it was easy to
verify the data often because it was so fast and easy. It was vastly better
than tape.

Later, we made a deal with the company across the street and ran fibre optic
between the two. Each company put a backup server on the other's property
(in a locked case). That gave us several levels of backup - RAID, internal
drive backup, Box-of-Disks backup, across-the-street server, off-site disk.

At work, we just ordered an LTO drive, because my PHB wants the "security"
of a backup tape in his hand. I considered getting a non working drive off
eBay to save a few bucks, since it's about as good as a working
drive...<grin>

Don't forget - with tape if you can't get a drive _and_ the backup software
to work, you can't get to the data on the tape. I can pull a HDD out of the
carrier and put it in any PC to get to the data. Something to really think
about. I've seen times where they didn't have a installable copy of the
backup software and were screwed.

Ken Elliott