Re: [SLUG] Need New Commercial ISP for Clearwater

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 14:47:49 EST

Eben King wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, steve szmidt wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 08 December 2005 06:18, Ken Elliott wrote:
>>

>>>It has gone down a couple of times, but not more than a day. I'd say (from
>>>memory) we've had 3 or 4 outages in the last year.5 (1.5Y). If you need
>>>better than that, I'd consider getting both DSL and cable.
>>>

>>Thats what I did for my office. I made cable the primary (as the troughput is
>>much higher), I had a script on the firewall that sensed if it went down and
>>rerouted traffic to the DSL. Then once cable was restored, it switched back.
>>
>>You can get fancy and add the play command to have your firewall announce such
>>changes verbally.
>>

>The control freak in me got tired of being in the dark and compiled festival
>and wrote a script called "say", so I could do something like "say Cable is
>down, switching to DSL.". Looks like I could call "say" from other machines
>on the LAN, too:
>
>tcp 0 0 *:1314 *:* LISTEN 476/festival
>
>(Don't bother trying it from outside; my LAN is NATted.)
>
>Hey, what happens if they _both_ go down? Primary is DSL (regardless of its
>status) until cable comes back up? Or has DSL ever gone down?

I have had GTE DSL for 7 years (now known as VerizonDSL) I have only
had it go out on me twice. Once when they move me from the old Frame
Relay circut and move me over to ATM ( vz overnighted a new modem) and
that was only down for 4 hours and then the what ever happen a couple of
months ago up and tamp that took down both verizon and some road runner
customers cut fiber line or something or router blew up some crazy
thing like that.

But other than that It been perfect. Not too many people can say that
about cable