Re: [SLUG] Linux on Via processors

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 15:50:49 EST

On 12/11/05, Bill Glidden <bill@thegliddenfamily.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed a Debian distro onto a PC that uses a Via C3 processor. The
> application I am running behaves inconsistently in terms of performance on
> this machine. The via is a 1 Ghz model, and compared to a 1 Ghz Athlon
> there
> is no comparison.
>
> For example, my application reads some data from a database and stores it
> in
> a linked list. Each new item goes to the end of the list. The list has at
> most 45 entries. On the Via system, it takes about 1 second to add an
> entry
> to the end of this list. On the Athlon, you can't measure the time because
> it happens so quickly. Both machines have the same amount of memory,
> 512mb.
> The Athlon machine is running SuSE 9, but I don't see how that could cause
> this sort of difference.
>
> I'm open to ideas, suggestions, criticism, ridicule, and insult.

The VIA processors tend to have smaller caches than you'd see on traditional
desktop processors. Compiling things for speed (ie. -O2) can actually slow
things down because the cache fills up so quickly. When I put Gentoo on a
Via Epia, I noticed that compiling for smaller binaries (ie. -Os) sped
things up. Your mileage may vary. I'm not too sure about the C3 because I
used a much more underpowered model.

Tyler