Re: [SLUG] Chip fans

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 23:03:34 EST

steve szmidt wrote:

>On Sunday 11 December 2005 19:06, Paul M Foster wrote:
>

>>Throughout the whole time I've been using computers which have fans on
>>their CPUs, I've had a situation where periodically these fans become
>>extremely noisy. It lasts from a few minutes to maybe an hour. I've
>>never mentioned it to anyone, but I can't imagine other people haven't
>>run into it. Is this a common occurrence?
>>
>>Second, is there a _permanent_ solution?
>>

>I usually put a drop of vegetable (cooking) oil in it, which works just fine.
>I've kept an empty (as far as cooking is concerned) bottle since one only
>need miniscule amounts. (Obviously you need to open up the cover in the
>center of the fan.)

Scoff ye not! Marvel Mystery Oil that you can purchase at any auto
parts store is great for a plethora of tasks such as this! you can
lubricate the moving parts on a turntable (including the crank-up-motors
of the old non-electric phonograph players, clean your crankcase and
combustion chambers, and yes, it will lubricate a little fan! It won't
evaporate like WD-40, and it won't putrify like vegatable oil eventually
will, and it has a very pleasant smell to boot! (It doesn't taste like
it smells, take my word for it.)

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Always remember that too much pot spoils the cook, and if you have nothing to say at all, don't say anything nice.