Re: [SLUG] Linux on Via processors

From: Ka Winter (ka_winter@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 07:41:51 EST

---
> I have no experience whatsoever with AMD processors,
> but I understand
> that they are quite compotent, if not hot-running.
> Much like a British
> sports car, I understand that they perform really
> well for their size,
> but have a tendancy to overheat if not maintained
> properly.  (I'm sorry,
> guys, I suppose everything is cars to me.)

Well, I'd like to comment on both this and the fans issue. Some friends built me a new computer for my birthday last year with an AMD Athlon 3500 chip which is just screamingly fast. The man who built the box is a self-styled PC Artist who incorporated SEVEN fans into the scheme to keep the AMD cool (and it works) and the main processor fan is huge. One of those high-end fans is a variable speed fan that speeds up or slows down depending on need. The result is a WOOOOO ooooo OOOOOOO oooooooOOOOOO OOOO sound like wind whipping through a canyon faster and slower. I regularly shut this computer off at night because I can hear it in the next room where I sleep. It and its wind tunnel effects whooshing and wheee ing and ooohing and aaahhhing. And that's with them working right. What noises will it make when the fan bearings dry out and get dusty? I can only imagine. He must have done the right thing because another friend came over and ran some little command that reports the chip temperature among other things and when he read that he said "how did he ever get an Athlon to run that cool?" I'm almost used to the fan noise now. I don't need to hear anything else. It's peaceful here in the wind tunnel....

__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.