Re: [SLUG] Gnome or KDE

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 00:00:57 EST

Robert Eanes wrote:

>Hey Folks,
>
>I recently installed Ubuntu on an older machine. I
>love it. I haven't tested many of the newer distro's
>out there so my opinion is in ignorance of other just
>as refined distro's. After looking at the distro's
>website, I saw a parallel project Kunbuntu. I haven't
>installed this out yet, but seeing how the Ununtu
>project handled the two desktops made me wonder about
>which one is used more, and why.
>
>My initial impression of Gnome is favorable. It's
>less "windowy" than KDE, but is notable harder to
>configure / modify. It also seems a bit sluggish when
>400mhz system; everything is going to be a little
>slow, but Gnome just seems a little sluggish in
>comparison from how KDE seemed.
>
>What are your experiences with the two desktops? Why
>do you use one over the other? Is one desktop easier
>to program for than the other? Are there
>architectural differences that make one better than
>the other?
>
>If possible, please leave the flames out of this. I'm
>just looking for impressions and opinions.
>
>Thanks,
>Rob

Still lacking experience, I am trying to lay low on advising in the ways
of Linux, but I just had to jump in here. I feel like the Gnome/KDE
deal is almost a first impression deal. I've seen people on their first
and second impressions of Linux yawn at one DM and wow at the other in
rapid succession. I personally like KDE as does my wife and
six-year-old son. We have all three tried both, and all three of us
were underwhelmed by Gnome. I know that there are a lot of people on
this list that love Gnome. It seems to me that either one is equally
useful, but one appeals to some, and the other to others. (correct me
if I'm wrong here, anyone.) To me, it seems that Gnome is less
ram-intensive as it runs than is KDE. When I have run low-memory
systems, Gnome has run far faster. I like some apps that are bundled
with each DM, and actually run several Gnome apps on KDE on my Debian
system.
    I will leave this now to the rest of the list for correction,
ridicule, and insult. Thanks for your time. ;-D

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Always remember that too much pot spoils the cook, and if you have nothing to say at all, don't say anything nice.