Re: [SLUG] Gnome or KDE

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 23:01:38 EST

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 22:29, Robert Eanes wrote:
> Hey Folks,

> What are your experiences with the two desktops? Why
> do you use one over the other? Is one desktop easier
> to program for than the other? Are there
> architectural differences that make one better than
> the other?

Well I feel that the toolset in GNOME is not on par with KDE. Often I find
myself trying to find the option to add or set something but it's not there.

The structure seems a lot stronger inside KDE - more stable. I feel it is
better integrated than GNOME. I also find it easy to outgrow. My 15 year old
kid only uses KDE, and I'm usually doing the same.

To run either I found that bare bones is 384M but 512 is better and 1G works
great. I do load a lot of s/w so your milage may vary. I simply don't bother
with less than 1G RAM.

Linus is not impressed with GNOME and wrote:
"I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE. This 'users are idiots,
and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you
think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome,
because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where
it simply doesn't do what I need it to do."

I laughed as I found that to be exactly how I feel. You can always check both
out and see how YOU feel about them.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.