[SLUG] Gnome or KDE - take 2

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 19:38:03 EST

Thanks for all the input guys. I hadn't realized that
the resources needed to run KDE or Gnome were quite as
large. I've just climbed out of a 2 year hole working
with macs so... there ya go. The system I am using
for Ubuntu is a 400mhz celeron with 128m of ran and a
6 gig HD. From what I'm hearing, I was doing well
just to have it running as well as it is. Tweaking
with HDparm and setting swappiness to 10 quadrupled
the performance (article in the Linux Journal), but it
is still sluggish. Maybe xfce is the trick to have it
working snappily :) It's tough to get the wife to use
Linux when says comes back to me saying, "it's really
slow, what did you do to the computer". It's only
then that she realized that it wasn't running Winders.

Thanks,
Rob