Re: [SLUG] SAMBA share permissions

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 11:00:11 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 07:27 -0500, Keith Lelacheur wrote:
> Hello SLUGers,
>
> I am not sure if this is a ubuntu or winders question actually so I
> apologize if it is on the wrong list. The basic question is that I
> have a 6 member family and each of us have our own PC and most of the
> PCs are running XP. Each of the PCs has a couple of gig of mp3 files
> and a lot of the files are duplicated across various computers. I set
> up an old gateway desktop (PIII -733, 256 Meg, and 120G HD) with
> ubuntu in the hopes of making it a file server so that we can
> consolidate the mp3 collection in one place and have everyone access
> the common network share (Someone let me know any experiences they
> have doing this sort of thing). I think I have the ubuntu part set up
> right. The install went great, I created a share, I mounted the share
> one of the windows boxes by pointing to the ubuntu host and then
> telling windows to use a different username and password than the
> windows logon. I told windows to use the username and password of the
> user who owns the share on the ubuntu box. I also told windows to
> remount the share at reboot The share was mounted and I moved all the
> mp3 files to the share from the windows box. The music software
> (iTunes on this particular box) was happy as a clam ripping, burning
> and playing from this network share. Everything seemes to be going
> just fine until I rebooted. Windows remebers the share, but requires
> me to re-authenticate? after each boot (it will not let iTunes access
> the share until I browse the share after typing in the password). My
> basic question to the group is: is there some non-global setting in
> the samba.conf that will allow be to define a particular share as
> requiring no authentication, or is there some setting in windows XP
> that will force it to use a different username and password (and
> remember it after reboots) than their windows logon so that my
> non-techie family will not have to authenticate each time they boot?
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>

> Keith

Keith,

originally when we had only a few users here, I started with a similar
setup. People logged in as their own user but they all logged in to the
samba server using the same username/password (bad security, I
know...it's different now and I had to get it working fast back then).
>From the XP machines, I did exactly as you have done. Tools --> Map
Network Drive configure the share and select the "Connect using
different user name" option toward the bottom. Also select the
reconnect at logon. I can't remember if there was a checkbox in the
different username area to remember the password or if it was after the
reboot/reconnect the checkbox was there but these machines never asked
for the share password after the first time. It was stored. Of course,
you could just add the usernames to the server and after that do an
smbpasswd -a for all of them and then it will just seamlessly use the
windows logon credentials. Make sure the users are all in the same
group and that you add the proper umasks to the smb.conf file so that
files are created with group write access/ownership.

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.