[SLUG] SAMBA share permissions

From: Keith Lelacheur (themercuryman@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 07:27:10 EST

Hello SLUGers,

I am not sure if this is a ubuntu or winders question actually so I
apologize if it is on the wrong list. The basic question is that I have a 6
member family and each of us have our own PC and most of the PCs are running
XP. Each of the PCs has a couple of gig of mp3 files and a lot of the files
are duplicated across various computers. I set up an old gateway desktop
(PIII -733, 256 Meg, and 120G HD) with ubuntu in the hopes of making it a
file server so that we can consolidate the mp3 collection in one place and
have everyone access the common network share (Someone let me know any
experiences they have doing this sort of thing). I think I have the ubuntu
part set up right. The install went great, I created a share, I mounted the
share one of the windows boxes by pointing to the ubuntu host and then
telling windows to use a different username and password than the windows
logon. I told windows to use the username and password of the user who owns
the share on the ubuntu box. I also told windows to remount the share at
reboot The share was mounted and I moved all the mp3 files to the share
from the windows box. The music software (iTunes on this particular box)
was happy as a clam ripping, burning and playing from this network share.
Everything seemes to be going just fine until I rebooted. Windows remebers
the share, but requires me to re-authenticate? after each boot (it will not
let iTunes access the share until I browse the share after typing in the
password). My basic question to the group is: is there some non-global
setting in the samba.conf that will allow be to define a particular share as
requiring no authentication, or is there some setting in windows XP that
will force it to use a different username and password (and remember it
after reboots) than their windows logon so that my non-techie family will
not have to authenticate each time they boot?

Any help is appreciated,

Keith