Re: [SLUG] fsck problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 16:39:56 EST

William Coulter wrote:
> Let me start from the beginning. I had a maxtor hd that had files that
> I wanted. So, I put it
> into my computer as a slave. When SUSE booted up it went on and login as
> a user. It detected the
> maxtor hd and asked if I wanted to mount it. I said yes and I called
> it /home2. I then copied
> all the files that I wanted which was about 10gigs of files. When I was
> done I turned of the
> computer and removed the maxtor hd. Now when I turned it on without the
> maxtor I get this error
> durring the start up.
>
> "fsck failed for at least one filesystem (not /).
> please repair manually and reboot.
> the root file system is already mounted read-write."
>
> It asked for the root password and I put it in, but I don't know what to
> do next. I am running
> suse9.3 and this is on boot up.

It should tell you which filesystem is "bad". Remount that one
read-write. That is:

mount -t ext3 -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /home

Substitute your filesystem type for ext3 (see /etc/fstab for the
filesystem type of this filesystem if you don't know it). Substitute
your device for /dev/hda1 (again, see /etc/fstab if you don't know what
device it is). Substitute its mount point for /home.

Once you've remounted it, you should then run

fsck -t ext3 /dev/hda1

Again, substitute for ext3 and /dev/hda1 as needed. Answer any questions
that come up until it's done checking.

The reason this happens is because when Linux does a fsck on a
filesystem, it may find errors that it believes require interactive
human attention to repair. Fsck doesn't run interactively on boot, so if
  it hits something touch it wants a human to answer questions and
provide guidance.

Paul