Re: [SLUG] networking and crossover cables

From: Macy1 Hallock (macy1@hallock.net)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 14:35:04 EST

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Eben King wrote:
>
>> If it doesn't matter, it would be because the cards can sense which
>> pair is Tx and which is Rx. I know a lot of hubs now are
>> autosensing, but didn't know about NICs.
>>

> All of the newer Apples are autosensing, even the laptops for the past
> couple of years.
>
> I'm not sure about which PC NICs are autosensing though. That'd be
> something great to know.
Reminder: Don't throw away those Ethernet crossover cables just yet.

Automatic Ethernet crossover sensing requires chip level support.
If the device chip set does not have the capability, there's no way the
kernel or driver can make it happen.

A few of newer 100BaseT and 1000BaseT NIC's (and switches)
will do auto-sensing crossover. This capability is not yet common on
low cost NIC's and switches, I'm still caught off guard each time I
encounter it, but it's only a mater of time until becomes the norm.

It's certainly a neat and useful feature, I wish more vendors used it.
I've seen a list of NIC chipsets, but not a comprehensive list of devices
with this capability.

(This reminds one of the early days of Fast Ethernet, 10/100 and
full/half duplex sensing. Same deal, as the support chip sets matured,
these functions became automatic to the point where now it's a PITA
if you encounter older hardware that mishandles the auto negotiation.)

Did I mention that crossover cables for 10BaseT and 100Base T
are wired differently than those used for 1000BaseT (Gigabit Ethernet)?
The former utilize only two pairs, the latter uses all four pairs...

--
 Macy Hallock - Hallock Consulting - Medina, OH - Lutz, FL
Tel 813-632-2988 Cell 813-493-8899 Email macy1 (at) hallock.net