Re: [SLUG] networking

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 14:46:53 EST

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, William Coulter wrote:

> --- Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, William Coulter wrote:
> >
> > > Now that I have gone winbloz free, how do I network my two computers?
> > > One is called fast and the other is slow. Both are suse 9.3 using kde and
> > > I am using a linksys router. What do I next?
> >
> > What do you want to do?
>
> What would be a good common practice way to network two computers.

I'll assume you've done the basics, put them on the same subnet so they can
ping each other. If you don't want to refer to the other computer by its IP
address, add "address<tab>name" to /etc/hosts.

> I will need to be able to transfer files back and forth, but not use each
> other system.

NFS is the classic way, but it can be tricky to set up. Kfish, if you run
KDE and ssh (I think they're required, but ICBW). If you just want to be
able to get at the other computer's files, and don't care about something
that looks like a normal filesystem, then FTP or scp would do. Given ssh,
scp involves no setup at all.

> In the future, I am going to make a linux router with a firewall

iptables? Dunno, I haven't done that in years.

> and maybe a content filter.

Never done that, sorry.

> I would guess that telneting and fpt would work, but I would like a second
> way of doing it.

fpt? Telnet has poor security, use ssh instead.

> I don't need to do ssh and security stuff right now, I am starting at the
> bottom and going to work my way up.

Security, when added to something, is often poorly implemented. Much easier
to have it from the get-go. ssh is easy to set up, and you're never tempted
to use telnet elsewhere because you're familiar with it.

           This message was created using recycled electrons.