Re: [SLUG] Yet Another Hardware Recommendations Thread

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 19:45:46 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
>

>> My older machine has a GeForce4 Ti 4200 which has decent 3D (and is
>> really cheap today). Anyway, the point is that using the nvidia
>> drivers have never been a real problem. They make the binary driver
>> available and you just get one that matches your kernel. So it does
>> not a problem.
>>

> Yeah, but I don't want to use a binary driver. That was the point. I'd
> rather find a decent GPU that's natively supported by the kernel. I
> don't want to go out and look for a driver.

... However, it appears from an extensive Googling that there just
aren't any *serious* video cards supported by Linux. ATI and NVidia seem
to be far and away the best, and both provide proprietary drivers. In
ATI's case, they seem to be flakier.

Crap. Looks like I'm stuck, unless someone knows something I don't.
(Which is pretty likely! ;-)

--
Paul M. Foster